Saturday, February 7, 2009

Review: J. Crew Solid Silk Garland Cami

photo source: J. Crew

I have a love/perturbed relationship with my J. Crew Silk Garland Camis. I bought these pre-shopping ban (I swear) in three different colors (ivory, shown above, white sand, and light pewter) because I loved the way they looked so much. The love part of the relationship is that these really are an amazing layering piece. They look fantabulous underneath cardigans and sweaters. Plus, the "garland" part looks so Rebecca Taylor-ish, that these look a lot more expensive than they actually are (I call this "maximizing value").


The part of the relationship that really perturbs me, is that they chose to put buttons all the way down the freaking front! I love my Victoria Ruffle Camis (yeah, I scooped those up in a couple of colors as well) because they are more of a henly shape with only buttons at the top. If you have an even reasonably-sized chest (and trust me, I don't have much up top), the top two buttons have a tendency to gape. To solve this problem, I have to wear another cami underneath, just so I am not embarassed when this unintended gaping happens. Another way to solve the problem is to buy a size up, but these things already run a touch large anyway. And who wants to wear a balloon just so a button doesn't gape? I suppose another way to solve the problem as well is to take the darn thing to a tailor, but who wants to pay for a tailor after paying $88 for a blouse?


So will I keep wearing my Silk Garland Camis with pride? Yes. Just yesterday I received several compliments on it, despite the occasional gape. I still love the way they look, even if the fit isn't 100% perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment